Still She Rises seeks to:
- Reduce jail time and increase the number of non-incarceratory sentences that women with children serve in order to minimize the harmful long-term effects of incarceration on women and families.
- Defend mothers involved in the criminal justice system against the painful and unnecessary removal of their children and the potential dissolution of their families.
- Preserve women’s hard-earned jobs, maintain stable housing and public benefits, defend against the forfeiture of property, correct criminal record errors, preserve rights challenging police misconduct, and educate judges and prosecutors about the debilitating consequences of arrest and incarceration.
- Provide individualized social support to families, in addition to connecting them to vital services like substance abuse treatment, counseling, and parenting classes.
- Assist families in negotiating court fee reductions and creating payment plans for these fees to ensure that they do not become trapped in debt, resulting in the further destabilization of their lives.
- Serve as a clearinghouse and backup center for public defenders nationwide seeking to develop better ways to represent women and preserve families.